Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Wrinkles 1984Porsche928

Wrinkles 1984Porsche928 21 Jun 2020 23:37 #21324

• Wrinkles89
  • New Forum Member
I started visiting this site about 3 months ago while looking for for a 928. I have owned a 1966 912 (kept for 30 years, sold it in 2018), and presently have a 2011 996 (Carrera 4 cabriolet with hard top as well). I went looking for info at the usual places I knew of: PCA, Rennlist, TheSamba, etc. When I came to 928OC i got quite interested and asked a couple of questions that are quickly answered, especially from Rich Andrade. I was hooked and signed as a member. Thank you 928OC.
I am trying to post, unsuccessfully so far, pics of the arrival of my "new" 1984 Porsche 928S and its few early days here in New Mexico. The car came from Connecticut (sadly from a used dealer) where it ended its first 36 years of life. It was bought new in Croton-on-Hudson, NY and the moved to Orlando, FL and back to NY. It appears to have been with its original owners until late last year. It has NY 2020 tags and registration, although I have not been able to contact the owner. CarFax appears to confirm the 70+K miles on the odometer. It did have issues: the AC is not working but I still don't know the exact cause; there was leakage in the hatchback, which I traced and repaired; the horn is not yet working but it may be the relays and I will be checking and hopefully repairing, provided I find them; a new battery came with the car but it was a size shy of the needed one so I replaced it; the front hood struts needed replacing and it is done; will be changing oil/filter and air filter but still can't get advice as to transmission fluid change or just check/refill; interior needs care and it is receiving it; exterior needed a good wash and shining and it is being done this weekend.
Any comments/advice/don't-dos are welcome.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wrinkles 1984Porsche928 22 Jun 2020 10:36 #21325

• Rich928
The Porsche 928 Automatic Transmission is sourced by Mercedes Benz. It is physically different because it is a transaxle with the final drive bolted onto the back, however the majority of internal parts are the same as used in Mercedes Benz cars. There are differences in the valve body and shifting points.

Looking at the original 1984 specifications:

Final Drive: approximately 2.7 liter of hypoid ger lube API Classification GL 5 (MIL-L2015B) SAE 90

Automatic transmission: approx 8 liter total filling, Oil change volume with converter approx 6 liter ATF Dexron B (sperm oil free)

How did things change up to model year 1995?

Final Drive oil is the same.
ATF is listed as Dexron II D

Today: Dexron has evolved tremendously. You need to read the fine print to see if the current ATF is Dexron II D compatible.

To drain the torque converter, the torque converter must be rotated to expose the drain plug on the bottom and ATF drained from there in addition to removing the pan at the base of the transmission. Extreme care is needed when tightening the ATF oil pan, too much torque bends the pan and it WILL leak.

The Porsche 928 is kind of a pain when it comes to checking the ATF level. The fill tank is on the right side of the transaxle and can only be accessed from the bottom. To check the level, it is best to do it when the oil is warm and to look at the scale on the plastic fill bottle for warm levels. The car MUST be level with engine running in neutral. Therefore it will need to be up on a lift, over a sunken pit, or on four level jack stands ... makes things more difficult for the do-it-at-home mechanic. I have my mechanic check the level every time the 928 is on the lift.

Filling the reservoir is also a pain, you'll need a hose with a pump to get the ATF into the top of the reservoir. Do not overfill.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds